Calculator "Inverse" - Part II
This is more of what was discussed earlier (11/9/2008), but perhaps with a little more humor added to it.
When you invert a calculator readout, you hopefully can make these associations: 0 - O, 1 - I, 2 - Z, 3 - E, 4 - H, 5 - S, 6 - G, 7 - L, and 8 - B...with a creative bent to your vision.
Read each of the following clues, do the associated calculation on your calculator, and then rotate your calculator 180o to find the answer.
Again, these examples may be stretching the word "humor" ...but they are creative. Challenge your students to make up some of their own "questions" of this type...send them to me and I will try to include them on this web site.
- What did Amelia Earhart's father say the first time he saw her flying an airplane by herself?
[(.023 x 3) + 10,141] x 5
- What did the cannibal cook say when asked if the minister was ready for supper?
2 x [(6 x 4759) + 0.17]
- What did Farmer McGregor throw at Peter Rabbit to chase him out of the garden?
[4 + (27 x 109) - 0.027] x 18
- What did the Red Baron put into Snoopy's house?
[(101 x 32) + 50] x [by each whole number greater than 6 but less than 9]
- What did the queen hide behind her fan as the emperor walked by in his new clothes?
(47.5 x 2 x 20 x 200] - 81
Source: Karen Beisse et al, OCCE Special Report, May 1976, p. 4