Mathematics Doing Non-Mathematics
The answer to each of the following five questions is the name of a famous mathematician:
- Whose genealogical researches in Italy and elsewhere in Europe established the Hanoverian claim of succession to the throne of England?
- Who invented the wheelbarrow?
- Who devised the strategy of flooding areas by breaching dykes to repel armies invading Holland?
- Who, when challenged to thirteen duels by thirteen cavalry officers, accepted all of them on the condition that he be permitted to play a little on his violin between bouts--and emerged the victor?
- This Scottish laird held the position of Price Controller of Boots and Shoes in Edinburgh. Who was he?
 Jano Bolyi
Source: Wish I remembered...it was a newsletter from a country other than the U.S.