Up to the Task?
While browsing an old set of workshop materials (source unknown, 1996) this summer, I found the following "Mathematics Trivia." As someone who enjoys the history of mathematics, I expect that many people will have trouble responding to the questions.
Good questions, but they can easily be expanded. For example, I suggest the following additions:
- Name four famous mathematicians.
- Name a theorem or mathematical idea that is named after a person.
- List two mathematical ideas that originated outside of western Europe.
- Name two women mathematicians. (BONUS: When did the first African-American woman receive her Ph.D. in mathematics?)
- Name one African-American mathematician.
- Name two non-Western mathematicians.
- Name four non-famous mathematicians.
- Name a theorem or mathematical idea that is incorrectly named after a person.
- List two mathematical ideas that originated in the United States.
- Name a Chinese mathematician...a Mexican mathematician...a Russian mathematician....an African mathematician....an East Indian mathematician...a Japanese mathematician...etc.
- Name a living mathematician.
- What makes a mathematician famous?