I'm Back......ala Jack Nicholson
Welcome back...and MATHNEXUS is back for its Year Four as well. Hope you are looking forward to a good year...filled with learning, teaching, and doing interesting mathematics.
As a recap, the MATHNEXUS web site is updated weekly during the school year. Originally part of a grant-funded project that has ended, this website continues to exist as a support for mathematics teachers (6-14) and people who enjoy mathematics.
Its various parts (as they have evolved over the past two years):
Be sure to browse the Archives as well...almost 1500 pages of information available. I hope you both enjoy and find the website's content useful. Your comments are always helpful. Have a good year!
- Math News: Overview of events, research reports, new discoveries, awards, etc. all linked to mathematics.
- Math Lint: No way to explain or justify this section, which is reserved for my sharing of eclectic, odd information or rants as if it were a B-Blog (think of B-movies).
- Problem of the Week: Favorite and interesting problems to be investigated and hopefully shared with students...includes a hint...and solution commentary the subsequent week. If you have a favorite problem, please send it to me (with hint and solution commentary) for possible sharing.
- Quote of the Week: Commentary on mathematics, teaching or learning mathematics, education in general, or life in general. If you have a favorite quote, please send it to me for sharing.
- Statistic of the Week: Unusal data, factoids, or numerical thoughts, which often lead to the posing of problem situations. If you have a unusual statistics, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Humor of the Week: Is is humor?..depends on the reader. Will vary from groaners to high-level humor to visual humor...etc. If you have a favorite piece of humor, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Website of the Week: Overviews of a wide-ranging collection of websites that may be of interest to mathematics teachers or students. If you have a favorite website, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Math Person of the Week: Provides clues about a mathematician...and your task is to determine who it is. An attempt is made to include living mathematicians as well. If you have a favorite mathematician who has not been included, please send a name to me (with clues) for possible sharing.
- Resource of the Week: Ranges from websites, materials, books, contacts, professional groups, etc. If you have a favorite resource, please send it to me for sharing.
- Golden Oldie of the Week: Problems taken from texts that range from 50 years old to 5000 years old. If you have a favorite "oldie," please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Calendar: Includes birthdays, conference events, holidays, and trivia.
- Events for Teachers: Up-to-date listing of professional organizations (mathematics and computing) and their yearly events. If you have an event that should be listed, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Student Assessment Materials: Links to sample assessment problems, assessment resources, and artciles about assessment. If you have an assessment resource that should be listed, please send it to me for possible sharing.