MathNEXUS is Back......ala Jack Nicholson!
Welcome back...and MathNEXUS is back for its Year Ten as well. Hope you are looking forward to a good year...filled with learning, teaching, and doing interesting mathematics.
As a recap, the MathNEXUS web site is updated weekly in almost every category during the school year. If you would like a weekly e-mail reminding you of the new updates, please send me an e-mail (i.e. to "Jerry.Johnson@wwu.edu.")
Originally part of a grant-funded project that has ended financially but continues in spirit, this website exists as a support for mathematics teachers (6-14) and people who enjoy mathematics.
Its various parts (as they have evolved over the past two years):
As I continue to add content for this next year, I apologize if I repeat something (e.g. a joke, problem, resource, etc.). I have to admit that the size of the MathNEXUS data base exceeds my memory capacity.
- Math News: Overview of events, research reports, new discoveries, awards, etc. all linked to mathematics.
- Math Lint: No way to explain or justify this section, which is reserved for my sharing of eclectic, odd information or rants as if it were a B-Blog (think of B-movies).
- Problem of the Week: Favorite and interesting problems to be investigated and hopefully shared with students...includes a hint...and solution commentary the subsequent week. If you have a favorite problem, please send it to me (with hint and solution commentary) for possible sharing.
- Quote of the Week: Commentary on mathematics, teaching or learning mathematics, education in general, or life in general. If you have a favorite quote, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Statistic of the Week: Unusal data, factoids, or numerical thoughts, which often lead to the posing of problem situations. If you have a unusual statistic, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Humor of the Week: Is it humor?..depends on the reader. Effects will vary from groaners to high-level humor to visual humor...etc. If you have a favorite piece of humor, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Website of the Week: Overviews of a wide-ranging collection of websites that may be of interest to mathematics teachers or students. If you have a favorite website, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Math Person of the Week: Provides clues about a mathematician...and your task is to determine who it is. An attempt is made to include living mathematicians as well. If you have a favorite mathematician who has not been included, please send a name to me (with clues) for possible sharing.
- Resource of the Week: Ranges from websites, materials, books, contacts, professional groups, etc. If you have a favorite resource, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Golden Oldie of the Week: Problems taken from texts that range from 50 years old to 5000 years old. If you have a favorite "oldie," please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Calendar: Includes birthdays, conference events, holidays, and trivia.
- Events for Teachers: Up-to-date listing of professional organizations (mathematics and computing) and their yearly events. If you have an event that should be listed, please send it to me for possible sharing.
- Student Assessment Materials: Links to sample assessment problems, assessment resources, and artciles about assessment. If you have an assessment resource that should be listed, please send it to me for possible sharing.
Thus, be sure to browse the Archives often...about 4000-5000 pages of information are available. I hope you both enjoy and find the website's content useful. Your comments are always helpful. Have a good year!