A New "Year Game" for 2012
The Math Forum is again sponsoring its "Year Game." The task: To write expressions for all the numbers from 1 to 100 using only the digits in the current year (2012).
To illustrate, for the number 3, you could use (2x0)+(1+2) = 3 or (2+2)-(0+1) or [(1+2)!]÷(2-0) or .... Be Creative!
Interested students need to read and follow the rules carefully if they wish to have their solutions posted on the Math Forum web site (hopefully updated from year 2011 to year 2012).
- Open to students in grades three through twelve...of all ability levels
- Write an expression for the counting numbers 1 - 100
- Use only the digits 2, 0, 1, 2 and the standard operations +, -, x, ÷, ^ (raised to a power), sqrt (square root), and ! (factorial), along with grouping symbols
- For this year, they are allowing the use of decimal points (e.g. .2) and double-digit numbers (e.g. 12)
- Student solutions can be submitted starting January 1, 2,012, using the proper Web Form
- Student solutions will be posted beginning February 1, 2012