Skin-Deep Look at Human Scales
Human beings like to measure things...by assigning numbers, we gain a sense of order and mastery. Some of the scales reflect inherent mathematical relationships (e.g. logarthmic or exponential), while other scales seem nominal by design.
Can you identify the following scales:
How did you do?
- Saffir-Simpson Scale (5 levels)
- Udden-Wentworth Scale (6 levels)
- Glasgow Coma Score (15 levels)
- Mohs Hardness Scale (10 levels)
- Torino Impact Hazard Scale (10 levels)
- Lab Biosafety Levels (4 levels)
- Fujita Scale (7 levels)
- Richter Scale (10 levels)
- Stanford-Binet Scale (8 levels)
- Diatonic Scale (7+ levels)
- pH Scale (15 levels)
- Specific Gravity Scale (22 levels)