No Money Left for Insurance
A man estimated that the engine of his car burns one gallon of gasoline, costing 24.2 cents, in running 14 miles, and one quart of oil at 20 cents in going 60 miles; also that the average life of each of the tires is 5000 miles.
- What is the expense per mile for gasoline? (Express the result in cents, to one decimal place.)
- What is the expense per mile for oil?
- What is the expense per mile for tires, if the tires cost $23.50 each?
- What is the total of these ordinary running expenses of the car?
- What does it cost this man for his daily trips?
Source: William Briggs' Practical and Plane Geometry, 1911 (I think)