Use this scale drawing of a football field to answer the following questions.
- On the drawing, the vertical lines are two spaces apart. How far apart does this make the lines on the field?
- What is the total length of the field?
- How wide is the field?
- How far apart are the goal posts?
- At the “kick-off,” the Giants kicked the ball the distance shown by the dotted segment AB. It was downed at B. How far did they kick?
- The Bears carried the ball from B to C, on the first play. How far did they carry the ball?
- On the second play, they carried the ball from C to D. what distance is represented by CD?
- On the third play, they were thrown for a loss to point E. How many yards did they lose on that play?
- On the fourth play, the Bears kicked. The ball was downed at F. How far did the Bears advance by that play?
- The Giants passed the ball and it was downed at point G.
(a) How many yards did they make on this play?
(b) Did they make a “first down”?
- On the next play, the Giants carried the ball 8 yd. forward, straight ahead from point G. How many spaces will represent that distance?
Source: W. Hart & C. Gregory’s Socialized General Mathematics, (1937).