Stu Dent Gets Fired
This is one of my favorite set theory questions...
Stu Dent, a new survey intern, was excited to turn in the results of his survey for tabulation. At the local mall, he had asked 40 people about their cereal preferences: Wheat Berry, Oat Squares, or Sugar Puffs.
His tabulated results:
Why was Stu fired?
- 23 said they ate Wheat Berry
- 18 said they ate Oat Squares
- 19 said they ate Sugar Puffs
- 12 said they ate Wheat Berry and Oat Squares
- 6 said they ate Oat Squares and Sugar Puffs
- 7 said they ate Wheat Berry and Sugar Puffs
- 2 said they ate all three cereals
- 2 said they would not eat any of those cereals
Hint: Draw a Venn Diagram to represent the situation.
Solution Commentary: When everything is sorted out in a Venn Diagram, is 40 your total number of people accounted for?