Mathematics Education Within the IAE-pedia
The website reviewed for this week is David Moursund's IAE-pedia. It contains enough information that I feel the need to also review the specific mathematics portion of this website as a resource.
On first appearance, the mathematics menu is filled with a collection of diverse materials, all available to help and enhance teachers of mathematics (K-16). To illustrate, consider these examples:
Woven throughout all of the above ideas are tons of articles written by people deserving your attention. Some suggested examples:
- An overview of what is "mathematics education," tied to a discussion of what is "mathematics"
- An extensive overview, analysis, and discussion on "Communicating in the Language of Mathematics
- Thoughts on how we as educators can improve the process of mathematics education
- A ready resouce of powerful quotations specific to mathematics education
- A special section on the teaching of mathematics methods courses for prospective elementary teachers
- Overview of the development of powerful lesson plans that help students learn quality mathematics
- A discussion on multiple aspects of problem solving, both in mathematics and across other disciplines
- The Digital Filing Cabinet specific to mathematics, as described in the web site review
Enjoy and participate....
- Eugene Maier's articles on issues in mathematics education...Start with his excellent article on "Folk Math"
- David Moursund's books, articles, and editorials...all available in a free downloadable format...and all thoughtful!
- Paul Lockhart's article "A Mathematician's Lament"...it is a powerful read!