All Eyes on Many Eyes
The Math News for this week shows a visual representation of a large data set. As mentioned, Wattenberg and Viegas have created a collaborative website to help others not only visualize data but also share their techniques for representing data visually.
The goal of the IBM-based web site
Many Eyes is to "democratize" visualization and to enable a new social kind of data analysis. Some options to check out:
In addition to seeing examples of fascinating visualizations of data, anyone has the opportunity to upload a data set...or even re-create a different visualization of a prevuiously-saved data set. This web site is a mathematics teacher's gold mine of opportunity!
- An explanation of Visualization Options, ranging from the ordinary to the experimental
- An introductory tour and guided overview of the gallery
- Examples of 38,580+ different data visualizations...about almost any subject you may or may not be interested in!
- Topic Centers devoted to a particular data theme, including related visualizations, data sets, and a discussion area.
- Blogs, posting of comments, and rating opoortunities