Are You A Number Freak?
Special people love playing with numbers, savoring their intriguing properties. Now, Derrick Niederman has published a resource that caters to these special people. It is called Number Freak: From 1-200, the Hidden Language of Numbers Revealed.
Consider the number 8:
If you teach mathematics, you could use this resource to share a bit of daily trivia with students...or with anyone! For example, how could you not want to share what is special about the number 199....as it is a prime number, even if viewed upside down...or if you permute its digits in any order.
- 8 is the number of official sides for a stop sign
- A square can be subdivided into exactly 8 acute triangles
- 8 "perfect" riffle shuffles will return a 52-card deck to its original order
- Spiders have 8 legs and 8 eyes
- Sports connections: 8-person rowing crew, swimming pools and tracks have 8 lanes, figure 8s in figure skating, and Michael Phelps got 8 gold medals in Olympics beginning on 8/8/08
And as the author states in a blurb, "Get ready to see numbers--and their properties, patterns, and propensities--in a new way."