Taking the Wheel of Fortune for a Spin
The television game show Wheel of Fortune has just finished celebrating its 25th Anniversary. Assuming you have seen or remote-flipped through the show at some time, here are some quick facts:
Question 1: How many times has Vanna White clapped her hands over the twenty-five years? Side Note: Lore has it that clapping your hands 15 times is equal to losing 1 calorie...so how many calories has Vanna lost?
- The show reaches 47 million viewers weekly
- Over the past 25 years, the show has given out more than $180 million in cash and prizes
- In her tenure with the show, Vanna White has never worn the same outfit
- On a show, Vanna claps an average of 720 times, which led to her being listed in 1992 in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s most frequent clapper
- The game board involves 52 flat-screen plasma displays, arranged in four rows (12-14-14-12)
Question 2: As each contestant guesses a letter or two correctly, Vanna has to do her special walk in front of the game board, touching the lit monitors. Assume she makes a full circuit back-and-forth 25 times a show. Estimate how far (in miles) she has walked over the past 25 years?