Oddball Data Prompts New Problems and Surveys
So much data exists...That is, we are surrounded by data...and where there is data, there are opportunities to create mathematical problems.
Consider these pieces of interesting data:
Using these interesting gems of data, your task is to either conduct related surveys to check the veracity of the data provided (e.g. see the date of the source)...or pose and solve new problems. Share the results with others and compare your respective creative slants.
- Pounds of laundry an average American family of four washes in a year: 2000.
- Acres of the world's tropical rain forest cleared every minute: 49.
- Percentage of American who say they never go to movies: 39%.
- Cab fare from New York City to Los Angeles: $5550.
- Longest recorded flight by a chicken: 302 feet, 8 inches.
Source: Harper's Magazine, 1985