I Remember All But Whoomp!
Consider these "singles," presented in alphabetical order:
Task 1: Order these classic songs by their ranking of Top 10 Singles of All Time in the US (as of 2008). The following schematic (from RIAA) may help, as there is overlap:
- Candle in the Wind, Elton John, 1997
- (Everything I Do) I Do For You, Bryan Adams, 1991
- Hey Jude, The Beatles, 1968
- How Do I Live, LeAnn Rimes, 1997
- I'll Be Missing You, Puff Daddy and Faith Evans, 1997
- I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston, 1992
- Love Me Tender, Elvis Presley, 1956
- Macarena, Los Del Rio, 1995
- We Are The World, USA For Africa, 1985
- White Christmas, Bing Crosby, 1942
- Whoomp! (There It Is), Tag Team, 1993
No. 1: (one song) sold 11,000,000
No. 2: (one song) sold 8,000,000
No. 3: (five songs) sold 4,000,000
No. 8: (five songs) sold 3,000,000
Task 2: Assume each of these song titles was pressed on separate CD's. If tightly stacked in adjacent piles, would all of the copies (54,000,000) fit in:
- The rear end of a cargo van?
- A city bus with the seats removed?
- A school gymnasium?
- The Dallas Cowboys new stadium?
- Grand Canyon?
Source: Adapted from R. Ash's Top 10 of Everything: 2008