Do You Believe This? ( Part 2 )
Consider these "claimed" facts relative to the human body:
- The average human being sweats 2 1/2 quarts of moisture and produces 1 quart of saliva each day.
- The average human body contains enough carbon to fill 900 pencils.
- If all the blood vessels in a human body were placed end-to-end, they would stretch 12000 miles.
- Every minute 300 million body cells die and are replaced by new healthy cells.
- If the DNA elements comprising a single human cell were written in 12-point type, the letter string would stretch more than 12000 miles.
- During a lidetime, a person blinks 330 million times....and it takes 1/40-th of a second to blink.
- In an average lifetime, a person flexes his finger joints more than 25 million times.
- In an average lifetime, the human body produces 350 miles of hair....and loses about 1600 eyelashes each year.
- In 75 years, the human heart pumps 3,122,000,000 gallons of blood, enough to fil 46 oil tankers.
- The total surface area of a pair of human lungs is equal to that of a tennis court....and have 300 thousand capillaries that would, end-to-end, stretch 1500 miles.
- The average adult breathes 23,040 times each day.
- If unraveled, the human esophagus, stomach, and large & small intestines would equal the height of a 3-story building.
- The average 75-year-old person has spent 220 thousand hours, or almost 25 years of her life, asleep.
Your Task: Devise experiments to test the validity of some of these claims. Also, think about the other claims in terms of their implications....or how they could be tested. Finally, compare these claims with those offered earlier, as discrepancies are evident.
Source: Julie Mooney's Ripley's Believe It or Not! Encyclopedia of the Bizarre (2002)