Say Cheese! Please....
Sonya Thomas, a 100-pound woman, won the World Grilled Cheese Eating Contest in New York (2/1/2006). Thomas is known as the "Black Widow" because of her many defeats of larger male competitors. Some interesting data about Thomas was released as part of that contest:
Some interesting questions easily arise that need to be explored:
- She won the contest by eating 26 sandwiches in 10 minutes
- She had predicted that she would eat 30 sandwiches during the contest
- She claimed that she gained 10 pounds during the contest
- She holds records for previous eating contests: 46 dozen oysters in 10 minutes, 11 pounds of cheesecake in 9 minutes, 48 chicken tacos in 11 minutes, 37 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes, 250 tater tots in 5 minutes, 40 crabcakes in 12 minutes, 52 hard-boiled eggs in 5 minutes, and 56 hamburgers in 8 minutes.
[Q#1] At her given rate, how long would it have taken Thomas to eat the claimed 30 sandwiches?
[Q#2] How long would it take Thomas to eat a single grilled cheese sandwich?
[Q#3] In another contest, Thomas ate 65 hard-boiled eggs in 6 minutes, 40 seconds? Is this more or less impressive than her eating of 52 hard boiled eggs in 5 minutes? Explain.
[Q#4] Suppose each contest Thomas entered was one-hour long:
If you want to know more about Sonya Thomas's eating exploits or see more pictures, consult her personal web page.
- How many grilled cheese sandwiches would she eat? How much weight would she expect to gain?
- How many dozen oysters would she eat?
- How many pounds of cheesecake would she eat?
- How many chichen tacos would she eat?
- How many hot dogs and buns would she eat?
- How many tater tots would she eat?
- How many crab cakes would she eat?
- How many hard boiled eggs would she eat?
- How many hamburgers would she eat?
Source: AP Press, February 1, 2006