The Crowded Earth
Population density is defined to be the number of persons per unit of area.
Consider this data:
A Question to pursue: For each of the above countries, calculate the amount of space per person. That is, for the United States, if the 80 people were placed in an area of one square mile, how much room (in square feet) would each person get?
- Monaco...most dense country at 61,280 people per square mile.
- Macau in China...quite dense at 45,841 people per square mile.
- United States...80 people per square mile.
- Canada...about 8 people per square mile.
- Greenland...least dense country at 0.07 people per square mile.
Note: Additional population densities can be explored at this Wikipedia site.